The delegation discussed the FSDA’s views on pending Bills relating to financial literacy (SB 88 and HB 323), the mortgage brokers exemption (HB 193 and SB 314) and the protection of vulnerable investors (SB 662 and HB 681). They met with:
- State Representative Byron Donalds (R-District 80) (Sponsor of HB 681),
- Ray Rodrigues (R-District 76) House Majority Leader,
- Jim Boyd (R-District 71), House Commerce Committee Chairman,
- Evan Jenne (D-District 99), Ranking Democrat-House Commerce Committee,
- George Moriatis (R-District 93),
- David Santiago (R-District 27), House Banking & Insurance Committee Vice-Chairman
- House Banking and Insurance staff attorneys
- Representatives from the Attorney General’s Office and Senate Banking and Insurance Committee.
While the meetings were very positive, it is clear that there is much work to be done in order to pass these 3 important initiatives. All the legislative members expressed their general support for these measures, and encouraged the FSDA to continue its advocacy. They were appreciative of the FSDA’s elder outreach programs being held statewide, and encouraged the association to continue its mission to protect the Florida’s seniors and vulnerable adults and to continue its presence in Tallahassee. As a high-ranking House member once said: “If you are not at the table, you are not on the menu”.
The FSDA delegation believes that the meetings were a huge success and looks forward to future visits to our State’s Capitol.
Click here to view photos.